Higher Degrees by Research (HDR)
The range and profile of the research undertaken within the School can be summarised by three overarching questions:
- How sustainable are current planning, design and construction practices in light of cultural, social, economic, and environmental change?
- How does the design and construction of the physical environment (buildings, landscapes, urban space and infrastructure) support and shape the cultures that produce it?
- How do design practice, thinking and learning in the environmental design field produce knowledge?
Given these questions, this School is committed to research excellence with particular focuses in the fields of:
- Sustainable built environment
- History theory & culture
- Asian and the Middle Eastern Architecture
- Design research and education
All higher degree research students are supervised by a panel of experts to ensure the highest quality research outcome that is internationally competitive, including our own staff, supervisors from other Faculties within the University, and also experts from other universities both in Australia and abroad.
If you are interested in becoming a research student in the School of Architecture and Built Environment, please use the links in the ‘Research Options’ widget on the right of this page to explore and investigate further. If you have any questions about our School’s Higher Degree by Research programs you can contact the School via the online enquiry form.